Importing from Zotero
Citavi can import references from Zotero as long as the Zotero database was exported in BibTeX format.
Preparing a file for import
- If working with Zotero in Firefox, click the gear symbol and then click Export library. In Zotero Standalone click File.
- Copy the linked files to the Zotero directory. From the Zotero Tools menu, click Manage Attachments > Convert linked files to stored files).
- Click Export library.
- On the Format menu, click BibTeX.
- Click OK. Zotero will create a folder (default name: My Library) in the location of your choice. This folder contains the *.bib file and your PDF files.
- Create a ZIP file.
Windows: Right-click the folder created by Zotoro. Select Send to. Select Compressed (zipped) folder. This will create a file with the same name as your folder, but with the ZIP file extension.
Mac: Hold down the Ctrl key. Click the folder. Click Compress items. This will create a file named [filename].zip.
In order for Citavi Web to import the data, the BIB file must not exceed 20 MB. You may first need to break the Zotoro database into smaller databases and import them individually.
Completing the import
- Open your Citavi project.
- Click Add.
- Select Another reference management program.
- Select Zotoro.
- Click Browse. Select the ZIP file you prepared.