In addition to the standard additional fields, Citavi also provides you with nine Custom fields you can use to save information that doesn't fit in another field. You can edit the name of the custom field to make it clear what it contains.
- In the Reference Editor switch to the Reference tab.
- Click More fields.
- Select the checkboxes for the custom fields you want to appear on the Reference tab. If you don't select them, you can always use the More Fields window to access them.
- To rename a Custom field click the blue field label Custom field 1 (or 2, 3 ... 9).
- In the Name field enter the new name.
- Choose the sort order:
- by first date found in field
- by first number found in field.
- You can also enter a default value.
- Select the Show as list checkbox if all values entered into the Custom field should be autosuggested when inserting new values.
- Click OK.
Example for using custom fields: you would like to group your references into primary and secondary sources. On the Refernce tab, insert a Custom field and change its name to Source type. As a default enter Primary Source. Select the Show as list checkbox. After you enter Secondary Source in the Custom field, both terms will appear in the Source type list. Each new reference will have Primary Source entered as a default.