Quoting a Text Passage
Citavi distinguishes between different types of quotations and provides fields for each type:
- Direct Quotation for information that you type in exactly as it appears in the original text (ex. a definition).
- Indirect Quotation for information that you reformulate in your own words (paraphrase).
- Summary a Short description of the contents of a chapter or section. (If you want to summarize an entire book or journal article, use the Abstract field instead.)
- Comment for your thoughts on an author's statements.
- Image or file quotation for graphics, film or music files that you take from other works.
- In the Reference Editor, switch to the Quotations tab of the reference you want to quote.
- Select the correct quotation type (see above).
- Write a concise summary of the quotation in the Core statement field. If you do not enter anything, Citavi will automatically enter the first few words of the quotation. You can turn off this feature by placing the inserting point in the Core statement field, right-clicking and then selecting Generate core statement automatically.
- Type the text into the Quotation box. Do not forget to place direct quotations in quotation marks!
- Enter the page numbers the quotation is taken from in the Page range field. Click Page range, to choose a different type, for example columns, section numbers or margin numbers.
- Add Keywords if desired.
- Click Categories or press F9 to assign categories to the quotation. Select the checkboxes for the categories you want to assign. (See Outlining with Categories.)
- The Modified field will automatically update with your initials and the date. Click OK to finish.
Hint: If you are excerpting multiple quotations from the same page, you can change the order of the quotations. Just drag the quotation to change the order.
- In the Reference Editor, switch to the Quotations tab of the reference you want to quote and click Image or file.
- Enter a Caption for later publication.
- Click Add file. Choose the file and click Open. Citavi supports the following file types: Windows Bitmap (.bmp), TIFF (.tif, uncompressed or with LZW compression), JPEG (.jpg), GIF (.gif), or PNG (.png).
- Add a detailed Description for your own use.
- Enter the page numbers the quotation is taken from in the Page range field, if applicable.
- Citavi enters the file path in the Location field.
- Enter Keywords and Categories if desired.
- Im Feld Bearbeitung trägt Citavi Ihr Namenskürzel und den Tag der Bearbeitung selbstständig ein. Klicken Sie auf OK.
Hint: For videos, you can enter a time span, such as 01:34-03:55 by clicking Page range and choosing Other as the numbering type.
Hint: Use the Comment feature to distinguish between the author's thoughts and your own. You can add a comment to a quotation that you have already added. Highlight the quotation, click the arrow to the right of Comment, and then click Add comment to item.