Changing Reference Types
Occasionally, you may need to change the reference type for one of your references. For example, you may realize that a book is in fact a collected work.
Changing the Reference Type for a Single Reference
- In the Reference Editor, on the References menu, select Change reference type or, on the References tab, click the name of the current reference type.
- Choose the new reference type from the list and click OK.
Changing the Reference Type for Multiple References
You can also change the reference types of multiple references at the same time.
- Open table view by clicking Table in the toolbar or by pressing Alt+Ctrl+T.
- To select references, hold down Ctrl and click each reference you want to change.
- On the References menu, click Change reference type.
After changing reference types, you may find that certain fields are no longer shown. For example, if you entered a series title in a Contribution in an Edited Book and then change the reference to a Journal Article, the Series title field will be hidden. The contents of the field are still there, however. To see all the information you entered for the particular reference, even in fields not normally shown for the selected reference type, switch to the Reference Editor and click the Reference tab. Click More fields near the bottom of the pane. Select the Show all non-empty fields on the Reference tab automatically checkbox.