Defining Administrative Settings
System administrators can deploy Citavi in a way that prevents certain features from being used or so that certain settings (such as selected sources for the online search or
an organization's citation style) are already in place when the user starts the program for the first time.
Please note the following:
- Settings that are distributed using the InitialSettings.csd file can later be changed by the user. A list of possible settings can be found here. The InitialSettings.csd file is only applied the first time Citavi is started.
- Settings that are distributed using the AdminSettings.csd file cannot be changed by the user, as long as he or she does not have permission to make changes to the Citavi program folder. The AdminSettings.csd file is applied every time Citavi is started.
The AdminSettings.csd file lets you do the following:
- Block automatic update detection
- Block offline copies (caching) for projects saved on network drives
- Block settings for backup copies
- Block proxy configuration settings
- Disable email features (online orders, etc.)
- Block the saving of passwords in DBServer connection strings
- prevent users from creating local projects (Citavi 5.5 and above)
- Select a folder for your organization's internal citation styles
Creating Settings Files
You can create the InitialSettings.csd and AdminSettings.csd files with the Administrative Settings Assistant:
- On the Tools menu, select Options.
- Switch to the Folders tab.
- Click Administrative Settings Assistant.
- Follow the assistant's recommendations and consult the Quick Help as needed.
About Administrative Settings
To distribute administrative settings to users, you should copy the AdminSettings.csd and InitialSettings.csd files to the folder %programfiles%\Citavi 5\bin (on 32-bit operating systems) or %programfiles(x86)%\Citavi 5\bin (on 64-bit operating systems).
- Since the InitialSettings.csd file is only read the first time Citavi is started in a user profile, it makes the most sense to copy it to the folder while installing with a software distribution system or directly after installation. If settings are to be applied later on, the user can import them by clicking Tools > Import or export settings. Please note that this will overwrite the user's settings.
- The AdminSettings.csd file can be copied to the folder at any time, since it is read each time Citavi is started in a user profile. Please note that features that have been blocked can still be changed by the user if he or she has editing rights for the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Citavi 5\.
Citavi saves additional settings for each user locally in his or her Windows user profile (Folder: Documents\Citavi 5\Settings\):
- EngineSettings.cus contains settings for settings files, citation styles, etc.
- FormSettings.cus saves window position settings.
- UISettings.cus contains settings for Citavi's appearance (i.e. the displaying of warnings, recent files, etc.)
- WordAddInSettings.cus contains settings for the Add-In for Word.