The following list contains all features in Citavi 5.
- Operating system: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista; Windows Server 2009 (with all updates); Windows Server 2012
For Citavi for DBServer databases: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or later
- Framework: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 (or later)
- RAM: 4 GB or more
- Hard disk space: approximately 240 MB for the program itself; at least 30 MB for project databases
- Can also be installed on a USB flash drive (works on all computers that meet the system requirements)
Individual or Team Projects
- Databases can be worked on by multiple people at once.
- Databases created with Citavi for DBServer can be protected with different rights.
Workspaces and Views
- Reference Editor: Reference tabs and lists, integrated help texts, controlled lists for persons and organizations, keywords, periodicals, series, publishers, and libraries. Customizable Overview tab
- Knowledge Organizer: Categorization of quotations, integrated help texts
- Task Planner: Lists by type of task, importance, and/or due date, integrated help texts; selections of tasks according to default or user criteria
- Word-Add-In (information below)
- Publication Assistant: Window which allows the user to insert references and quotations in Word, Writer, or TeX editors
- Create selections, and order and group fields in the Table View. Hide and display information in lists.
- Multiple input forms can be open and edited at the same time.
- The default view (Overview tab) can be customized to display additional fields from other tabs.
- Input fields can be enlarged using the zoom feature.
- The user interface is enlarged accordingly if Windows is set to 120 DPI or 125% resolution.
- Taskbar for quickly inserting special typographical characters
- Various interface colors
Seven Interface Languages:
- Maximum number of project databases: no limit
- Maximum number of references per project: approximately 100,000 (but depends on amount of RAM)
- Possible to insert a description of the database
- Number of Reference Types: 35
- Links between reference types (for example, between edited books and their contributions)
- Unicode support
- Automatic insertion of bibliographic information by entering a 10-digit or 13-digit ISBN number, a DOI name, or a PubMed ID
- Autosuggest for the entry of personal names, organizations, publishers, places of publication, periodicals, and series titles
- Automatic identification of authors' genders based on the first name (requires an active Internet connection)
- Duplication of references
- Possible to create links to local files. Relative paths can also be used
- Links to Internet and Intranet files
- Supports DOI and URN links
- Availability search using OpenURL
- EZproxy support
- Nine customizable input fields
- Automatic creation of short titles
- Automatic creation of citation keys and BibTeX keys using customizable templates
- TeX-based editor for complex mathematical formulas
- Search in bookseller and library catalogs and research databases (via Z39.50 protocol or web services): currently over 4500 catalogs and databases. New resources are continually added at no charge
- Search within subscription databases possible with user authentication
- Automatic detection of subscribed databases (via IP address)
- Direct import from bookseller and library catalogs
- Automatic import from research databases using a text file or the Clipboard with general or database-specific filters
- Direct import of information in RIS, BibTeX, and EndNote Tagged Format, as well as from OvidSP databases.
- Import from other reference management programs: EndNote, ProCite, Reference Manager, etc.
- Import of information in tabular form: MS Access, MS Excel, OpenOffice Calc, text files with separators (tab, CSV etc.)
- Import of book covers from catalogs or manual insertion from a file
- Import from MindManager, Freemind, and ConceptDraw files to a Citavi category system
Search and Select Features
- Quick select options that can be combined
- Automatic selection based on the references cited in a particular document
- Full-text search in all fields, in groups of fields, or in individual fields
- Boolean operators: AND, OR, NOT
- Relational operators: >, >=, <, <=
- Wildcards: ?, *
- Regular expressions
- Preview of items found with highlighted search results
- An item containing a search result can be automatically opened from the search window
- Possible to search within results
- Duplicate reference search
Evaluating and Working with References
- Abstract, table of contents
- References to other references (with evaluation options)
- Categorization in a user-created hierarchical category system
- Keywords and categories can be batch applied to multiple references at once
- Saving of text quotations (with formatting)
- Saving of image quotations (in various file formats)
Analyzing and Annotating PDF Files
- Simple highlighting
- Quickly highlight and note the main idea (red highlights)
- Save direct quotations
- Save indirect quotations
- Write summaries
- Write standalone comments or comment on quotations
- Save image quotations
- Assign tasks
- Add abstracts and tables of contents
- Add keywords
- Add references from bibliographies in PDF articles
- Saving of thoughts in text format
- Saving of thoughts in image format (for example, a photograph of a hand-drawn outline)
- Creation and flexible customization of category systems to structure quotations and thoughts with automatic adjustments of all relations when changes are made
- Order of quotations and thoughts within a category can be set manually.
- Compilations containing all quotations, thoughts, and images arranged by category
- Category system can be used to structure a list of references
- Special tasks for individual references: 10 predefined task types (borrow, examine and assess, etc.) with due dates, importance, and status
- Freely definable project tasks
- Call numbers and locations can be saved
- Notes can be added to each reference
- Batch assigning of tasks or location information
- Notes for persons, organizations, periodicals, publishers, etc.
- Task lists
- Overview of references borrowed or lent
- Placement of book orders through selected online booksellers.
- Placement of book orders by email to a local bookseller
Add-In for Microsoft Word
- Insertion of references as dynamic Word fields
- Insertion of references as multiple citations
- Cited references are designated
- Insertion of quotations from the Citavi project with their citations
- Automatic creation and updating of the bibliography when references are inserted or deleted.
- The category system can be imported as an outline
- Automatic updating of references and the bibliography when the citation style is changed
- References cited in a document created with the Citavi Word Add-In can be imported into another Citavi project.
- References that no longer are in the Citavi project can be restored and copied back into the project.
- Conversion of documents that previously used the Citavi Publication Assistant
- Conversion of Word documents created with EndNote or Reference Manager's Cite While You Write feature
- Conversion of Word Add-In fields to static text before submitting a publication
- Supports the 32-bit versions of the word processors MS Word, OpenOffice Writer, OpenOffice Writer Portable and LibreOffice
- Supports the LaTeX editors LEd, LyX, Texmaker, TeXnicCenter, TeXstudio, TeXworks, WinEdt, and WinShell
- Direct insertion of references, quotations, and images in an open document.
- Insertion of references and quotations in footnotes
- Various options for reference formatting (year only, author only, no parentheses, include only in bibliography, don't include in bibliography, etc.)
- Automatic creation of bibliographies in a selected citation style, with or without numbering, and, if desired, across multiple documents
- Automatic recognition of repeated citations depending on the citation style being used
- Three options for resolving ambiguous references (for example, adding a unique letter to the year of publication)
Data Ouput and Export
- Formatting according to a selected citation style
- Editor for creating or modifying styles
- Copying and moving of references to other Citavi projects
- Creation of simple project bibliographies with or without grouping
- Output in the following image formats (for image quotations, cover art, etc.): JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIFF
- Output in the following text formats: RTF, MS Word, Open Office Writer, ASCII
- Output in the following table formats: MS Excel, Open Office Calc
- Output in the bibliographic formats: BibTeX, RIS, EndNote, EndNote Tagged
- Customizable BibTeX export (with preconfigured settings for: Bibsonomy, IEEE, jurabib, etc.)
- Automatic BibTeX export: Citavi can scan a TeX file and create a BibTeX file based on the BibTeX keys used
- Projects are saved in the SQLite database format (unencrypted).
Data and Program Management
- Automatic update notifications
- Administrative setups and updates with the possibility to define settings (for example, for network administrators)
- Automatic backups
- Project and global options that can be exported and imported
- Entries in lists (persons and organizations, keywords, periodicals, publishers, libraries, and series) can be corrected, merged, and deleted. Corresponding fields are then updated throughout the project.
Extensions: Citavi Pickers
Extensions for Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Adobe Acrobat for quickly adding webpages, text, and images to a Citavi project
Documentation and Support
- Context-sensitive help texts
- Customizable help texts
- Example project included in the installation
Limitations of Citavi Free
The only difference between the full version Citavi for Windows and the version Citavi Free is that it is not possible to save changes if there are more than 100 references in all open Citavi Free projects. However, it is possible to create as many projects as desired in all versions.