Importing from Zotero
Citavi can import references from Zotero as long as the Zotero database was exported in RIS format.
Export your Zotero library in BibTeX format
- If working with Zotero in Firefox, click the gear symbol and then click Export library. In Zotero Standalone click File and then click Export library.
- On the Format menu, select BibTeX and then click OK.
- Select a location for the file and click Save.
Import the BibTeX file in Citavi
- Switch to Citavi and open a project or create a new project.
- On the File menu, click Import.
- Select Text file and then click Next.
- Select BibTeX and then click Next.
- Select Import a text file and then click Browse. Select the file with the .ris file ending and click Open.
- Click Next.
- Check the character encoding and click Next.
- In the import window that appears, you can choose which references you want to import. To import all the references, click Add to project. To add specific references only, first select the corresponding checkboxes and then click Add to project.
- Select any appropriate import options.
- Click OK to complete the import.
Move PDF Files
If you exported your PDF files, Citavi will only save the link to the file. We recommend moving all your PDF files to the Citavi Attachments folder for your Citavi project:
- In your Citavi project, switch to a reference that has a PDF file. References with attached files are displayed in the reference list with a paperclip icon.
- On the Reference tab, click the gear icon near the bottom.
- Select Move files into the Citavi project.
- Select All files in this project.