Using a Citavi License
The following information only applies to Citavi for Windows.
After installation, Citavi initially runs as Citavi Free. This version allows you to create as many projects as you want, each limited to 100 references. Citavi Free has no other functional limitations and no expiration date.
If you need to save more than 100 references in a project, you will need a license for Citavi for Windows. Purchasing a license allows you to unlock your copy of Citavi Free into Citavi for Windows, and you can continue working with information that you have already entered into existing projects. Citavi licenses are available from the Citavi Online Shop and from resellers. If your university has a site license, you can usually obtain a license in for free.
- Install Citavi Free if you have not done so already.
- Register for a Citavi account.
- On the Welcome Screen, click the login symbol:
- Enter your Citavi Account login name and password. Citavi will pull the license information from your account.
After you log in, your license information will be saved locally on your computer so that you can continue working on projects even if you are not connected to the Internet.
Deleting license information
Whenever you log out of Citavi, your license information is deleted from the computer you were working on. This ensures that no one else can open, change or delete your cloud projects on the computer.
- Start Citavi.
- On the Welcome Screen, right click the first letter of your name or your picture if you added one to your Citavi account.
- Click Log out.