Citavi for DBServer
With Citavi for DBServer you administer licenses with the Citavi DBServer Manager and with the Windows Active Directory on a database server. In contrast to Citavi for Windows, licenses are not managed or assigned online in Citavi Account.
Three license types are available:
Per Seat License
- Assign a license to a particular user, who can then use the license at any time. The license remains unused if the user is not working with Citavi. Please note that it's not possible to assign a license to an Active Directory group.
- The per seat license will be saved on the user's computer for 365 days. This allows the user to continue working on local projects without needing to be connected to the database server. The user can also create cloud projects as long as he or she has a Citavi Account.
- A user can be assigned any role in a project with a per seat license.
- The license can be withdrawn from a team member at any time and re-assigned to another person by the license administrator.
- A concurrent license allows multiple users to share a single license, but only one person can use the license to access the database at a time.
- The number of concurrent licenses equals the number of users who can work with Citavi at the same time.
- A concurrent license is considered "in use" when the user opens a Citavi project. Opening a Word document that contains Citavi fields does not constitute use of a license. A license is only required when adding or changing citations in a Word document, since the corresponding Citavi project needs to be open.
- A user can be assigned any role in a project with a concurrent license.
- Concurrent licenses are not temporarily saved locally. It's necessary to have an uninterrupted connection to the server to work with them.
- A user with a reader license can only be assigned the reader role. Other roles are not possible.
- Like a concurrent license, a reader license is not assigned to a particular user but is shared. Each reader license can only be used by one person at a time.
- The number of reader licenses equals the number of users who can view the Citavi project at the same time.
- Reader licenses are not temporarily saved locally.
Combining License Types
It's possible to combine Per Seat and Concurrent licenses and Per Seat and Reader licenses.
Team members that need to be able to access Citavi at all times, can work with the more cost-effective Per Seat licenses. All other users can share a certain number of Concurrent licenses.
It's not possible to combine Concurrent and Reader licenses.
The following image shows the possible combinations:
Licenses for Citavi for DBServer are administered with the Citavi DBServer Manager. If license assignments occur via the Active Directory, when Citavi is started, the license is drawn from the Windows login.
Information for System Administrators in Businesses or Other Organizations
If you want to use centralized licensing on a terminal server installation or on multiple Windows installations, please purchase licenses for Citavi for DBServer.