Adding Summaries (Green Highlights)
Use summaries to reformulate the main ideas of a longer section of text, such as a chapter in your own words. If you want to paraphrase a shorter text passage, create an indirect quotation instead.
Selecting a Text Passage and Adding a Summary
- Use the text selection tool to select the text you want to highlight: . If you want to summarize an entire chapter or subchapter, you can also simply select the heading.
- Click the green Summary icon:
- Citavi creates a new summary and generates a core statement automatically using the first few words in the selection. You should ideally change the core statement to better reflect your understanding of the text passage. Enter your comment in the Text field.
By clicking the green highlight in the left margin of your PDF document, you can see which text passage is linked with the summary.
Deleting Green Highlights
The green highlight in the left margin of your PDF document shows you that the text passage is linked with a summary.
- Click the green highlight in the margin.
- On the shortcut menu, select Delete.
- Citavi asks if you also want to delete the linked item.
- Select what you want to delete and click OK.