Importing and Exporting Categories
When you start a new project, you can import your category system from an existing Citavi project or an outline from another program.
You can export the categories you create in Citavi to Microsoft Word®, OpenOffice.org Writer®, ConceptDraw®, FreeMind® oder Mindjet MindManager Pro®. This way you can keep using the categories as an outline in the word processor or MindMapping® program.
- In the Knowledge Organizer click Categories.
- In the toolbar above the navigation area, click Tools: Point to Import category system and click From a Citavi project.
- Locate the project you want to copy the category system from.
- Click Open.
- Citavi will copy the category system to the new project.
You can create an outline in Microsoft Word® or OpenOffice.org Writer® and then import it to Citavi, provided you use default styles (that is, Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.) in the word processor..
- Save the Microsoft Word or OpenOffice.org Writer document.
- Switch to Citavi and open the project you want to import the outline into.
- In the Knowledge Organizer click Categories. In the toolbar above the navigation area, click Tools. Point to Import category system > From a Word document or From a Writer document, respectively.
- Choose the document and click Open.
- Citavi imports the outline into your project as a category system.
You can export a category system you created in Citavi to a text document.
If you are using the Citavi Add-In for Microsoft Word do not follow the instructions below. Instead, use the Add-In to Import all categories from your Citavi project.
- In the Knowledge Organizer click Categories. In the toolbar above the navigation area, click Tools. Point to Export category system > To Word or To Writer.
- Citavi creates a new word processing document and copies the category system as an outline.