Setting up an SQL Server with Citavi DBServer Manager
When you install Citavi 5, the application Citavi DBServer Manager is also installed. Citavi DBServer Manager contains a graphical interface, which you can use to create and manage databases on an existing Microsoft® SQL Server. Each database can contain multiple Citavi projects.
Setting up a Database for Citavi with the Citavi DBServer Manager
In order to carry out the following steps, you need to be a member of the SysAdmin or DBCreator roles on the Microsoft SQL Server. If you are not a member of one of these roles, please have your database administrator create the Citavi database.
Starting Citavi DBServer Manager
- Before installing Citavi, make sure that .NET Framework version 4.5.1 or later is installed on the computer you'll be creating the database on. If it is not, download the update from the Microsoft website and install it before installing Citavi.
- Install Citavi if you have not yet done so. The current Setup can be found at www.citavi.com/download. You do not need to enter a license key to perform the following steps.
- Double-click the Citavi DBServer Manager.exe file in the folder \Citavi 5\bin\.
- On the welcome screen, click Next.
Creating a Server Connection
- On the Server connection tab, enter the computer on which the SQL Server is located.
- If you installed SQL Server as an instance, enter the instance name in the Instance name field. Otherwise, leave the field empty.
- Select whether a Windows login or an SQL server login should be used for authentication.
- Click Next to continue to the Database tab.
Setting up a Database
You'll usually only set up one database for all Citavi projects on the Microsoft SQL Server.
- Enter a name for the new database.
- Click Finish.
Manually Setting up a Citavi Database
If your IT security policies do not allow a new database to be created by an external program on the MS SQL Server, you can manually configure the Citavi database by using a special SQL script:
- Download this zip file containing the SQL scripts.
- Extract the zip file for your MS SQL Server version.
- Open the SQL script in the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and run it from there.
After you create a database, the Citavi DBServer Manager checks if the full-text engine is installed on the MS SQL Server and will create a full-text index for the database if it is. If the database was created manually using the SQL script above, you will also have to configure the full-text search manually. Open the Citavi DBServer Manager. In the right column under Actions > Database, click Configure full text search. Additional information for using the full text search can be found in the chapter Using the Full Text Search.
After you've finished setting up the database, use Citavi DBServer Manager for the following tasks: