The following list contains all features in Citavi 6.
- Operating system: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows Server 2016; Windows Server 2012; Windows Server 2008 (with all updates). For Citavi for DBServer databases: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 or later.
- Framework: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 (or later)
- RAM: 4 GB or more
- Hard disk space: approximately 300 MB for the program itself; at least 30 MB for project databases
Individual or Team Projects
- Databases can be worked on by multiple people at once.
- Databases created as cloud projects or with Citavi for DBServer can be protected with different rights.
Workspaces and Views
- Reference Editor: Reference tabs and lists; integrated help texts; controlled lists for persons and organizations; keywords, periodicals, series, publishers, and libraries; customizable Overview tab
- Knowledge Organizer: Categorization of quotations, integrated help texts
- Task Planner: Lists by type of task, importance, and/or due date, integrated help texts; selections of tasks according to default or user criteria
- Word Add-In (information below)
- LaTeX Assistant: Window which allows the user to insert references and quotations in TeX editors
- Create selections, and order and group fields in the Table View. Hide and display information in lists.
- Multiple input forms can be open and edited at the same time.
- The default view (Overview tab) can be customized to display additional fields from other tabs.
- Input fields can be enlarged using the zoom feature.
- The user interface is enlarged accordingly if Windows is set to 120 DPI or 125% resolution.
- Taskbar for quickly inserting special typographical characters
- Various interface colors
Seven Interface Languages:
- Maximum number of project databases: no limit
- Maximum number of references per project: 25,000 - 50,000 (but depends on amount of RAM)
- Possible to insert a description of the database
- Number of Reference Types: 35
- Nine customizable input fields
- Links between reference types (for example, between edited books and their contributions)
- Unicode support
- Automatic insertion of bibliographic information by entering a 10-digit or 13-digit ISBN number, a DOI name, a PubMed ID, a PMCID, or an arXiv ID (arXiv IDs from 2007 on)
- Autosuggest for the entry of personal names, organizations, publishers, places of publication, periodicals, and series titles
- Automatic identification of authors' genders based on the first name (requires an active Internet connection)
- Duplication of references
- Possible to create links to local files. Relative paths can also be used
- Links to Internet and Intranet files
- Supports DOI and URN links
- Availability search using OpenURL
- EZproxy support
- Automatic creation of short titles
- Automatic creation of citation keys and BibTeX keys using customizable templates
- Search in bookseller and library catalogs and research databases (via Z39.50 protocol or web services); currently over 4500 catalogs and databases
- Search within subscription databases possible with user authentication
- Automatic detection of subscribed databases (via IP address)
- Direct import from bookseller and library catalogs
- Automatic import from research databases using a text file or the Clipboard with general or database-specific filters
- Direct import of information in RIS, BibTeX, and EndNote Tagged Format, as well as from OvidSP databases.
- Import from other reference management programs: EndNote, ProCite, Reference Manager, etc.
- Import of information in tabular form: MS Access, MS Excel, OpenOffice Calc, text files with separators (tab, CSV etc.)
- Import of book covers from catalogs or manual insertion from a file
- Import from MindManager, Freemind, and ConceptDraw files to a Citavi category system
Search and Select Features
- Quick select options that can be combined
- Automatic selection based on the references cited in a particular document
- Full-text search in all fields, in groups of fields, or in individual fields
- Boolesche operators: AND, OR, NOT
- Relational operators: >, >=, <, <=
- Wildcards: ?, *
- Regular expressions
- Preview of items found with highlighted search results
- An item containing a search result can be automatically opened from the search window
- Possible to search within results
- Duplicate reference search
Evaluating and Working with References
- Abstract, table of contents
- References to other references (with evaluation options)
- Categorization in a user-created hierarchical category system
- Keywords and categories can be batch applied to multiple references at once
- Saving text quotations (with text formatting); maximum of 64,000 characters in formattable text fields
- Saving image quotations (in various file formats)
Analyzing and Annotating PDF Files
- Simple highlighting
- Quickly highlight and note the main idea (red highlights)
- Save direct quotations
- Save indirect quotations
- Write summaries
- Write standalone comments or comment on quotations
- Save image quotations
- Assign tasks
- Add abstracts and tables of contents
- Add keywords
- Add references from bibliographies in PDF articles
- Save metadata in PDF files
- Saving of thoughts in text format
- Saving of thoughts in image format (for example, a photograph of a hand-drawn outline)
- Creation and flexible customization of category systems to structure quotations and thoughts with automatic adjustments of all relations when changes are made
- Order of quotations and thoughts within a category can be set manually.
- Compilations containing all quotations, thoughts, and images arranged by category
- Category system can be used to structure a list of references
- Special tasks for individual references: 10 predefined task types (borrow, examine and assess, etc.) with due dates, importance, and status
- Freely definable project tasks
- Call numbers and locations can be saved
- Notes can be added to each reference
- Batch assigning of tasks or location information
- Assign tasks to other team members
- Notes for persons, organizations, periodicals, publishers, etc.
- Task lists
- Overview of references borrowed or lent
- Placement of book orders through selected online booksellers.
- Placement of book orders by email to a local bookseller
- Insertion of references as dynamic Word fields
- Insertion of references as multiple citations
- Cited references are designated
- Insertion of quotations from the Citavi project with their citations
- Automatic creation and updating of the bibliography when references are inserted or deleted.
- The category system can be imported as an outline
- Automatic updating of references and the bibliography when the citation style is changed
- References cited in a document created with the Citavi Word Add-In can be imported into another Citavi project.
- References that no longer are in the Citavi project can be restored and copied back into the project.
- Conversion of Word documents created with EndNote, Reference Manager or RefWorks
- Conversion of Word Add-In fields to static text before submitting a publication
- Supports the LaTeX editors LEd, LyX, Texmaker, TeXnicCenter, TeXstudio, TeXworks, WinEdt, and WinShell
- Data Ouput and Export
- Formatting according to a selected citation style
- Editor for creating or modifying styles
- Copying and moving of references to other Citavi projects
- Creation of simple project bibliographies with or without grouping
- Output in the following image formats (for image quotations, cover art, etc.): JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIFF
- Output in the following text formats: RTF, MS Word, Open Office Writer, ASCII
- Output in MS Excel
- Output in the following bibliographic formats: BibTeX, RIS, EndNote, EndNote Tagged
- Customizable BibTeX export (with preconfigured settings for Bibsonomy, IEEE, jurabib, etc.)
- Automatic BibTeX export: Citavi can scan a TeX file and create a BibTeX file based on the BibTeX keys used
- Projects are saved in the SQLite database format (unencrypted).
Data and Program Management
- Automatic update notifications
- Administrative setups and updates with the possibility to define settings (for example, for network administrators)
- Automatic backups
- Project and global options that can be exported and imported
- Entries in lists (persons and organizations, keywords, periodicals, publishers, libraries, and series) can be corrected, merged, and deleted. Corresponding fields are then updated throughout the project.
Extensions: Citavi Pickers
Extensions for Firefox (versions 57 and later), Google Chrome, Internet Explorer (versions 11 and later) and Adobe Acrobat (32-bit and 64-bit) for quickly adding webpages, text, and images to a Citavi project
Documentation and Support
- Context-sensitive help texts
- Customizable help texts
- Example project included in the installation