Upgrading from Citavi 5 DBServer to Citavi 6 DBServer
Switch from Citavi 5 for DBServer to Citavi 6 for DBServer
If you want to switch from Citavi 5 for DBServer to Citavi 6 for DBServer, please follow the instructions below:
When you switch to Citavi 6, the database structure is also updated. The database will then no longer be in the old format and can no longer be edited with Citavi 5.
If you are currently a Citavi user and only want to try out Citavi 6, do not carry out the database conversion in step 3 below. Instead, create a new database for Citavi 6.
To avoid interrupting the work of other users, we recommend the following:
- Install Citavi 6 on your users' computers (or on the terminal server) with the desired settings. For more information, see the chapter Using the MSI Assistant.
An important new setting is the option to prevent registration in Citavi Account. Citavi Account has two main purposes: first, it is necessary for loading licenses for Citavi for Windows (but not for Citavi for DBServer) and for working with cloud projects. If you want to prevent both activities, choose the Disable Citavi Account option.
- Ask all users to exit Citavi 5 so that all DBServer projects are closed.
- Start Citavi 6 DBServer Manager.
- Scenario 1: The Citavi 6 DBServer Manager finds connection information to Citavi 5 databases in the settings.
When you start Citavi 6 DBServer Manager a conversion assistant will appear. Confirm each Citavi 5 database that you want to convert.
- Scenario 2: The Citavi 6 DBServer Manager finds no connection information to Citavi 5 databases in the settings.
When you start Citavi 6 DBServer Manager a connection assistant will appear. Create a connection to SQL Server. If you select an existing Citavi 5 database in the connection assistant, the connection assistant will prompt you to convert it to Citavi 6 format.
- Install the Citavi 6 for DBServer licenses and assign per seat licenses to users.
- After the conversion is complete, let your users know that they can continue working with Citavi 6.
- Uninstall Citavi 5 on your users' computers.
Switch from Citavi 5 for DBServer to the Citavi Cloud in Citavi 6
- Open the Citavi 5 DBServer project in Citavi 5.
- Click File > Save a copy of this project.
- Close Citavi 5.
- Start Citavi 6.
- On the Welcome Screen, click Open project.
- On the Local tab, click Browse.
- Select the project you created in step 2.
- Citavi 6 may ask you to carry out a time zone correction. Please do so.