Overview of Team Features
Which Citavi edition is best for your team?
- Citavi for Windows is suited to small teams that have access to a network share.
- Citavi for DBServer is meant for large teams and for teams with members from different organizations.
To use Citavi for Windows in a small team, the following requirements must be met:
- No more than 3 people should make changes to the project at the same time.
- The project must be saved on a Windows network share (LAN) that all team members have access to.
Please note the following:
- All team members must have access to the network drive. Off-site users need to connect to the network drive with a VPN connection before opening the team project.
- Citavi for Windows does not allow for different levels of access. All team members can edit the project. To limit access, the folder on the network drive that contains the project can be assigned Windows rights. Contact your Windows system administrator to set these up. Citavi Free users can open projects in read-only mode if they contain more than 100 references.
All team members must use the same Citavi version. It is not possible for some users to work with Citavi 3 or 4 and some to work with Citavi 5.
The following scenarios are not supported:
- A LAN share using Samba, AFS
- A WAN in combination with WebDAV, Remote FTP, Dropbox, OneDrive, OwnCloud or any similar protocol or online service.
Technical Background: Citavi projects are SQLite databases. SQLite is not a database server, but a normal file-based database. For databases that are file-based, the operating system has to guarantee that the file is blocked during use by multiple users. Samba, WebDAV and other protocols don't do this reliably.
Use Citavi for DBServer to collaborate on a Citavi project in a large group. Citavi for DBServer has the following advantages:
- User management is easier, since users typically all belong to the same domain. Please note that attachments (PDF documents, image files, etc.) need to be saved on a network drive accessible to all team members. The network drive can be a WebDAV drive or similar.
- Roles and permissions can be defined for each team member for each project.
- Additional licensing options are available. In addition to our instead of named licenses (the license type for Citavi for Windows), you can also purchase per seat or concurrent licenses. More information can be found in the Overview of License Types.