Importing from EndNote
Citavi can import libraries from EndNote version 8 to version 9.2. Databases created with older or newer versions of EndNote first need to be exported from EndNote in ENW format.
Importing from EndNote 8.x and 9.0-9.2
Good to know:
Preparation: As a precaution, we recommend repairing the EndNote library before importing it. To do so, start EndNote, but do not open any library. Then, on the Tools menu, click Recover Library . Select the EndNote library and click Open. EndNote repairs the library and saves it with a new name.
Import one at a time: If you were using multiple EndNote libraries to create Word publications, import each EndNote library into its own Citavi project. Then, use the Citavi Word Add-In to convert the EndNote fields to Citavi fields. After converting all the Word documents, you can then merge individual Citavi projects.
Differing numbers of references: You may find that Citavi appears to import more references than expected. For example, you might import an EndNote library with 98 references and find 115 in Citavi. This is not an error, but a difference in how Citavi stores related references. Citavi differentiates between parent and child references and divides references with the EndNote reference type Chapter into two different reference types (for example, Contribution in an Edited book and Edited book).
Limitations: Citavi 6 cannot import all group associations from current EndNote versions. Some reference types (for example, Hearing) are not available in Citavi. Any references without a corresponding reference type will be given the Unknown reference type.
- In the Reference Editor on the File menu, click Import.
- Select Another reference management program. Click Next.
- Select EndNote. Click Next.
- Select the database to be imported on your computer. When you import a database that was created with EndNote version X or later, Citavi requires both the ENL file and the corresponding EndNote data folder in order to import attached PDF files. The folder will have the same name as the database, followed with the .DATA ending. You do not need to upload the .DATA folder separately - it just needs to be located in the same folder and have the same name as the ENL file.
- You can manually map the following EndNote fields to Citavi fields: Caption, Custom 1-8, Label, Section, Record Number and Reprint Edition.
- Citavi opens the import window. To import all the references, click Add to project. To add specific references only, first select the corresponding checkboxes and then click Add to project.
- Select any appropriate import options.
- Click Add to project to complete the import.
If you want to import multiple EndNote libraries that have overlapping references, you may want to check for duplicates during the import process. To do so, don't click Add to project in step 8. Instead, click Import again. On the next window, click Add to existing import. Select the next EndNote library for import. If duplicates are present, they will be shown with a yellow bar.
Importing from EndNote 9.3
- Open your EndNote Library.
- In the File menu, select Export.
- In the Export file name window, you will be asked to designate a "save to" location. Select the folder containing your EndNote Library and the .data-folder containing its corresponding PDF files.
- Enter a name of your choice in the File name field. Replace the file extension .txt with .enw.
- In the Output style box, select Select Another Style.
- Select EndNote Export. Click Choose.
- Uncheck the Export Selected References box to export all the references in your EndNote library.
- Click Save.
- In Windows Explorer to open the file containing your EndNote library.
- Search for all PDF files by typing *.pdf in the Windows Explorer search bar.
- Copy all the PDF files and paste them into the folder containing the exported ENW file.
- Switch to Citavi and open a project or create a new project.
- Double-click the ENW file to start the import.
- Click Add to project.
- Click the gear symbol near the bottom and select Copy files to Citavi project to copy the PDF files into your Citavi project's attachment list.
If desired, copy your project to the Citavi Cloud.